Historic Hillsville, Virginia is located in Carroll County, in the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwestern Virginia, 14 miles north of the North Carolina state line. Hillsville has a land area of 8.95 square miles. I-77 runs just west of Hillsville, intersecting with I-81 ten miles north of the Carroll County line. With direct interstate access in all directions, Hillsville lies within a day's drive of half the United States' population.
View a map of the Hillsville area by following this link.
Hillsville's historic district is a wireless internet hot spot.
Visitors, businesses and residents of historic downtown Hillsville may access this unsecure wireless link at no cost.
Highways serving area: I-77, I-81, US 58/221 (4 lane), US 52
Nearest interstate interchange: 4 within county (one within 1/2 mile of Town)
Motor freight carriers: 41
Nearest motor freight terminal: 9 miles (Blue Ridge Transfer in Galax)
- Roanoke Regional Airport; Roanoke, VA, 78 miles northeast of Hillsville
- Smith-Reynolds Airport; Winston-Salem, NC, 58 miles southeast of Hillsville
- Greensboro-High Point-Winston-Salem Regional Airport; 78 miles southeast of Hillsville
- General aviation facilities available at Twin County Airport, 5 miles west of Hillsville. Twin County Airport has a 4,204-foot lighted runway with charter, air taxi, and air freight services available.
A Norfolk Southern mainline runs parallel to I-81, approximately 15 miles north of the Carroll County line.
Port of Hampton Roads is 290 miles east. Inland container port at Front Royal, VA, is 170 miles east.
||Town of Hillsville
|Average Temperature, January:
|Average Temperature, July:
|Average Annual Precipitation:
|Average Annual Snowfall:
|Heating Degree Days:
|Cooling Degree Days:
||1,100'-3,570' (335-1,088 m)
|Carroll County is an attainment area for National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS).
|Distances to Major Cities
- Twin County Regional Hospital (149 beds; 37 medical specialists), one outpatient clinic
- 55 physicians, 6 dentist, 6 optometrists in Twin County Area, which includes neighboring City of Galax and Grayson County
- Hillsville has three private physician offices and a chiropractor's office
- Veterans medical facility on Pine Street in Hillsville
- Daily Newspapers: 3
- Weekly Newspapers: 2
- Radio Stations: 4
- Broadcast/Cable TV: Major networks available through affiliates in Roanoke, VA; Triad Region of NC; cable television available locally by Comcast
- Post Offices: 7
Telephone Service: Embarq and Comcast; digital switching, fiber optic networks; DSL through Embarq and Comcast
For more information about the area, visit Chillsnet, the electronic village for Hillsville and Carroll County.
Go back to top of page.
Send E-mail to Hillsville.